This vegetarian stew will please even the meat-eaters!
Meatless Monday is a great way for families to try something different! Not only is going meatless one day a week helpful in reducing your risk of chronic preventable diseases, but it also helps you to reduce your global footprint. Researchers at the University of Oxford found that cutting meat and dairy products from your diet could reduce an individual’s carbon footprint from food by up to 73 percent. Adopting more plant-based meals is the “single biggest way” to reduce your environmental impact. For the planet, your health, and the animals, whip up this delicious stew that everyone will love!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups cubed butternut squash (from about 2 pounds butternut squash) (or sweet potato)
- 1 cup green lentils, rinsed well
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- fresh juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- Optional: a few basil leaves, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic; cook a few minutes or until the onion becomes softened.
- Next stir in cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, cayenne; cook for 30 seconds to a minute until spices are fragrant. Add tomatoes, broth, chickpeas, butternut squash, lentils, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes or until butternut squash is tender and lentils are fully cooked.
- Stir in lemon juice and sprinkle with cilantro and basil, if desired. Makes 4 servings – about 2 cups each.
We hope that you and your family enjoy this meal! For all of your insurance needs, contact the professionals at Reata Insurance Group.