The holiday season is here, with Christmas just around the corner! If you want to surprise your loved ones with unique delicacies this time around, peppermint bark is one such item that you should include in your menu. It’s one of the easiest chocolate sweets you can prepare at home. The recipe is simple, and in as few as 10 minutes, you’ll be done making one of the most delicious dessert treats.
- Semisweet chocolate pieces (12 oz)
- White chopped chocolate (12 oz)
- Peppermint (1/2 teaspoonful)
- Crushed candy canes
Utensils and other items
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Double boiler or
- Large microwavable bowl
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper. Fill a large pot with 3 inches of water. Bring it to simmer over medium heat. Switch to low heat and put a large heatproof bowl on top of the simmering water. Place the semisweet chocolate in the bowl and stir until it melts. Stir the peppermint extract and pour it over the baking sheet that’s already lined with parchment paper. Using an offset spatula, spread the chocolate in an even layer. Cool the chocolate in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes until it’s set and firm.
- Melt the white chocolate, stirring to ensure it is thoroughly melted. Pour the white chocolate over the already set semisweet chocolate. Top it up with candy canes and put it in the fridge for 20 minutes (or freezer) until it’s all set and firm.
Ways to Melt the Chocolate
Using the microwave:
Place chopped chocolate pieces in a heatproof bowl of an appropriate size. Put the bowl in the microwave and heat for 30 seconds. Remove the bowl from the microwave and stir the ingredients before putting it back in. You need to stir the chocolate pieces to avoid overheating and scorching them. Once all the pieces have melted, including the ones at the bottom, you can stop stirring and heating.
Using the stove:
You may use a double boiler on your stove pot to melt the chocolate. This means bringing water to simmer and then placing the 2nd pot over the water. The heat from the simmering water will melt the chocolate. Make sure that the water doesn’t come in contact with the chocolate in the pot.
Setting the Peppermint Bark
It doesn’t take long for your peppermint bark to set once you’re done preparing it. After adding the melted chocolate pieces and sprinkling your candy canes, you can place the bark in the fridge for about 20 minutes or until it’s tempered to the level of firmness you prefer. Alternatively, you can put the bark in the freezer for about 10 minutes.
The holiday season is a time to share some great moments with your loved ones, be it over meals or while enjoying yourselves outdoors. It’s also a perfect opportunity to review your home insurance coverage to ensure you’re fully protected against future uncertainties. Contact us today at Reata Insurance Group for help re-evaluating your coverage to address any gaps that may exist.