Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Protecting Your Home from Carbon Monoxide

By Reata Insurance Group Archive, General, Home Insurance Comments Off on Protecting Your Home from Carbon Monoxide

Protecting Your Home from Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is incredibly dangerous; protect your family from this toxic gas.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas produced by the burning of carbon based fuel sources such as wood, charcoal, and natural gas. When inhaled, carbon monoxide poisons the body, preventing the spread on oxygen to the body’s cells. Prolonged exposure to the gas can be deadly. Don’t let your loved ones be vulnerable to the effects of carbon monoxide. Take these precautions to protect your home today

Install Detectors

Because carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless, it is virtually undetectable to the human senses. That’s why it’s so important to install carbon monoxide detectors on every floor and in every sleeping area in your home. Much like smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors set of an alarm when it detects the toxic gas in the air. If you hear your carbon monoxide detector go off, immediately move your family to a place with fresh air. Once you are out of the home, contact emergency services to report the possible gas leak.

Prevent Buildup

Another way to keep your family safe is by avoiding activities that could cause carbon monoxide to accumulate in your home. For instance, you should avoid running generators and engines or burning fuel in enclosed of poorly ventilated areas of your home. Additionally, you should check your home’s external vents to make sure that your home stays well-ventilated. Regularly clear any debris or snow that could be blocking your vents to allow carbon monoxide to safely exit your home.

Know the Signs

Finally, you should learn the early warning signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. Some symptoms include: headache, weakness, dizziness, nausea or vomiting, breathlessness, confusion, blurred vision, and loss of consciousness. Unfortunately, these symptoms can be very mild and can even be confused as flu symptoms. However, if you so much as suspect that you or a loved one might be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning, then immediately move to a place with fresh air and seek medical help.

Taking these steps can help keep your loved ones safe from carbon monoxide poisoning. Remember, another way to protect your loved ones is by having the right insurance coverage. To find the right policies to for you, contact Reata Insurance Group. We are ready to assist you with all your insurance needs.

  • Share:

Reata Insurance remains open and available to help our clients. If no one answers the main line at 512-420-9333 or on a personal extension, please leave a voicemail and we will return your call as soon as possible. You can also reach us at